Wednesday, January 4, 2012

One Secret at a Time

He manages to weave his way back into my thoughts just when the flashbacks have begun to dissipate ~ just when the writing I am doing has given purpose to what I endured ~ has given me of a vision of what I need to share with the rest of the world ~ all with the hope that my truth continues to help other people who have a shared experience.

Along came an email just before Christmas with loving thoughts about feeding me creamed corn if we were still together.

And all I could think was:  Would you charge me $20 for that bowl of creamed corn?

I laughed to myself in that moment, remembering how I hate creamed corn, and therefore; he must have me mixed up with someone else.  Or maybe I ate the creamed corn just to have something to eat?  So many moments of those years together are a blur, and yet so many are as crystal clear as having my head bashed into a wall all over again.

I think of him again during this bout of unemployment.  I think of all the money he extorted from me, and how I wish I could have that money now.

The university has not called to let me know about the latest pref-rehire interview, and so I had to go back on unemployment benefits once again after my last temp job ended, and I now worry if the benefits will run out.  I really could use the lawyer and bail money he made me pay back in payments for two years after I called 911 on him.

I wonder if he ever thinks of what he did and how he should make amends.  I wonder if he ever thinks that what he did was actually wrong.  And then I shake my head and instinctively know he never thought that what he did was wrong.  That's why he made me pay him back the lawyer and the bail money.

I walk through Santa Cruz, remembering how much I have lost.  I ache for the lost contact with the animals he brought into my life during those dark days ~ the precious souls I can never really see again because of what he did to me. 

I tell myself that I have to think of myself each time I miss the animals.  That I had to leave, or I may have died.  Yes, these are my thoughts as I walk the streets of Santa Cruz.  That I really could have died.  I see my reflection in the Old Vets Hall window and remind myself that I am still here.  That I did not die.  That I may have lost everything.  But I did not lose myself.  That I have been rebuilding myself for 6 1/2 years, and the biggest foundation of the new me was laid down the moment I started the writing blog.

I ask myself why.  Why did it happen to me?  Why did I let it happen to me?  I ask myself why, and I do not even know if I want to know the answer.  I do not need to have an answer to know that some amount of good ~ some amount of hope ~ can come out of the pain that is now a part of my past.  All I know is that I will keep writing.  That I will keep sharing my truth.  That I will keep helping others through my words. 

One sentence at a time.  One story at at time.  One secret at a time.  



Uncensored




1 comment:

  1. Very touching story and one I can relate to as also being with an abuser. After being in one marriage and one relationship which did nothing but beat me down...I asked the same questions. Why? Why? Why does this happen to me? Why do these men continue to treat me this way? Why did I stay a minute longer than I should've. I'm a good loving woman why can't I find a man to treat me right after the honeymoon stage and the new wears off. I begged for an answer. I prayed for an answer and the answer was I was loving him more than myself. I will never stop loving but I will never love a man more than myself again.

    ReplyDelete