Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Becoming Jewish


Never in my life have I felt more confident about a decision I have made.

Got the call today confirming my registration in the classes.

The past few weeks have been spent telling people my plans.

I still have some more family members to tell.

It is really the only reason I would love to get back on Facebook and make the big announcement.  But it is there that I wonder how my Christian friends and family across the miles will react.

I keep saying to myself, "I'm breaking up with Jesus," and then wonder how they will feel.

But I really don't feel like I am leaving one faith for another.

I feel like my whole life has led to this change.

And that I did not have to wait 40 years to change.

The rabbi commented on all the signs I had along the way.  All the Jewish people who shaped my childhood and young adulthood.  The most amazing chance meetings in random places.  

I thought back to the bus trip I took to Colorado when I was 21 in 1986 because I could not afford to go to New York, and then the whole tour group turned out to be Jewish New Yorkers.  I remember how they taught me all about Kosher eating ~ the special foods ~ the special preparation ~ even the special plates in separate areas of the cabinet.  I could have cared less about Colorado at that point ~ all I wanted to learn about was Jewish religion and culture and their lives in New York.

Becoming Jewish ~ my life has naturally evolved into this new direction, and I could not be more happier than I am in this moment in time.








No comments:

Post a Comment