Sunday, November 7, 2010

Lazy Woods

There was a time in my four years of suppression where I had a part-time reprieve from all of the madness.

I finally called 911 on him for smashing my head into a wall, and although he was released from jail in the less than four hours, he still decided to "honor" the restraining order the police put on him by moving me down the street until he could manipulate me into getting the case dropped.

And so Lil' Red and I packed up and moved to Lazy Woods.

To think only an alley separated Lil' Red and I from that house of horrors.  But for 3 1/2 months, we were technically safe although I still saw my abuser ~ who I coined "The Bad Man" ~ every day.

Lazy Woods was home to a beautiful rustic house right along the river complete with a fluffy dog and cat, two middle-aged single men, and an assortment of college students going to the same university where I worked.  How kind of the homeowner to take us in as he was a former drug addict who actually knew my abuser "back in the day."  But this gentleman had changed for the better and had inherited his grandmother's historic house and made it accessible to those in need.

What I remember most about Lazy Woods was the beautiful view of the garden right outside my window for Lil' Red to look out each day.  I even took him outside on a small dog harness and leash, and he would explore the lush green landscaping each day with me.

Summer turned into Fall, and something magical happened.  The Good Man, the homeowner, started putting up Christmas decorations in the beginning of November.  He had no tree but instead hung each decoration from the ceiling of the living room.  Each day the collection grew in number by the dozens.  Every night after work, I would return to Lil' Red and the magical glow of the most amazing amount of Christmas decorations I had ever seen. 

And somehow, Christmas was not as difficult that year.  The decorations seemed to Hang from the Heavens for me, and I felt my mother's presence protecting me ~ along with this assortment of good neighbors ~ now housemates ~ from The Bad Man down the alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment